Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Invasive Princess Tree

Hi folks.  Below is an example of why allowing invasive plants to be sold at nurseries is a bad idea…

Subject: FW: Invasive Princess Tree - Advertised as the Fastest Growing Tree in the World

If this isn't a testimonial on why you shouldn't buy invasive species, I don't know what is!
(P.S. If you received this twice, it's because you're on the SE-EPPC list-serv. If this is the only time you've received this, you're NOT on the SE-EPPC list-serv and should sign up here. Low traffic and since you’re a board member, you should know what’s going out to members. Thanks!)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:36 PM
To: Brown,Karen P

I live in Tulsa, OK.  This tree [Paulownia tomentosa] was sold as having sterile seeds so I felt safe in buying it (bare root). Seeds are not where the invaders come from ... they come from the roots of the tree.

I actually cut the trees (2) down and dug two big holes around the roots ... the roots were 7-inches in diameters in some places and looked like a twisted leviathan coming up out of the ground. I cut them out in big sections and disposed of them.  I slit what root remained then poured Roundup on them.  A month or two later I saw two stalks from this plant growing up under the pegboard above my workbench (in my garage) ... and other week or so, a stalk was growing up behind my freezer (on the other side of my two-car garage).

The volunteers keep showing up in other places ... in my yard, anywhere they want to come up.  I feel like it is growing under my house like a monster and will break through my foundation and clog my sewer lines. I want to move, but I would have to disclose that Jack's giant beanstalk (on steroids) lives under my house.