Friday, October 27, 2017

UF Cogongrass Research- Populations Needed

From: Clark,Taylor <taylorclark@ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Subject: UF Cogongrass Research- Populations Needed
To:

Good afternoon,

​I am currently conducting research in Dr. Flory's Lab at the University of Florida studying environmental factors that affect the abundance and distribution of cogongrass (Imperata cylindrica) throughout the state. I am very excited to have already sampled 55 sites all over the state! This was a project initially started by Chrissy Alba, who many of you contacted. Thank you to everyone for all your help thus far! 

The goal for this project is to reach at least 100 sites. So, I need your help. I am looking for populations of cogongrass that have not been treated or burned within the past two years. I will not be doing any sort of continuous monitoring so the populations can be treated or burned once the samples are taken. I am particularly looking for populations that are away from roadsides, preferably in undisturbed or minimally disturbed habitats, ideally in Scrub or Sandhill. I know many of you actively treat this aggressive invasive species, and thank you for keeping up with it, I know it’s a hard job! I’m hoping to find populations that have been recently found and haven’t yet been treated.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Please contact me at taylorclark@ufl.edu or at 407-267-4609.

Thank you so much for all your help!


Sincerely,
Taylor Clark
Field Research Technician
UF Agronomy ​